Got a chain mail from my friend today on getting the lost handset back. Its really amazing. Now a days there is every chance of losing a cell phone, and never getting it back. There are various reasons for it. The most important reason is, till we lose we never think of losing and getting it back. Each mobile carries a unique IMEI i.e. International Mobile Equipment Identity No which can be used to track your mobile anywhere in the world. If you have this number sent to the Cyber Crime Division of Police, most likely it will be tracked and phone returned to you?
This is how it works
1. Dial *#06# from your mobile.
2. Your mobile shows a unique 15 digit. This is IMEI No. of your hand set.
3. Note down this no anywhere but except your mobile as this is the no. which will help to trace your mobile in case of a theft.
4. Once stolen you just have to mail this 15 digit IMEI no. to: email@example.com
5. No need to go to police.
6. Your Mobile will be traced within next 24 hrs via a complex system of GPRS and internet.
7. You will find where your hand set is being operated even in case your no is being changed.
If u lost your mobile, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following info.
Last used No.:
E-mail for communication:
Please Note : This information is valid only for India. For other countries procedure should be similar but the reporting email will differ.